A fractious team is a group of players who are highly skilled but also prone to conflict. A fractious player has a similar meaning, and it relates to someone who displays great skill in one or more areas yet still engages in negative behavior that causes chaos on the field.
The “fractious meaning” is a word that means to cause conflict, or to be difficult. The word was first used in the 15th century and comes from Latin.
Scratchy, nettlesome, cranky, peevish, obstinate, pettish, irritable, petulant, tetchy, refractory, testy, stubborn, peckish are all synonyms for peevish. Good-natured, easygoing, and obedient are antonyms. nettlesome, peevish, peckish, pettish, petulant, scratchy, testy, tetchy, techy (adj)
So, what exactly is a contentious relationship?
: full of rage and dissatisfaction a tumultuous partnership tumultuous negotiations
What portion of speech is turbulent, one could wonder? fractious
|portion of a sentence:||adjective|
|1st definition||angry and quarrelsome by nature; grumpy. After many hours in the van, the kids were becoming more agitated. antonyms: tranquil grumpy, angry, and petulant are comparable terms.|
How do you use fractious in a phrase like this?
Examples of fractious Sentences
- Greenlee’s contentious and even caustic nature got even more challenging during this time.
- a tumultuous kid
- Differences Do you sense that things are becoming a little fractious?
- The conference became acrimonious in the second half, and I, for one, would like some actual food.
What is another word for decorum?
‘decorum’ synonyms He follows royal procedure to a tee. civility and respectability respectable behavior Gratitude.
Answers to Related Questions
What does it mean to be fractious?
Having a proclivity for disobedience and a lack of discipline. Unruliness, wilfulness, and willfulness are synonyms. Contrariness, perversity, and perverseness are all types of perversity. Unruliness that is purposeful and adamant, as well as resistance to advice or discipline. wildness. a rambunctious inclination to accomplish whatever one wants
What does it mean to be cantankerous?
adjective. Cantankerous is defined as someone who is irritable, grouchy, or eager for a fight. A cranky old guy who lives on your block is an example of cantankerous, since he is always monitoring the neighborhood youngsters for anything to shout at them about.
What does being impertinent imply?
Impertinent has come to mean an unseemly intrusion into what does not concern one, or a presumptuous rudeness toward someone entitled to deference or respect, as in an impertinent interruption, question, or manner toward a teacher, from its primary meaning of not pertinent and thus inappropriate or out of place.
What is the definition of a fractious cat?
In small animal practice, ferocious cats are unavoidable. 2) Even in a hospital cage, cats are territorial. 3) When confronted with a novel situation, most cats feel afraid rather than hostile.
What does it mean to have a supercilious demeanor?
When you call someone supercilious, you’re implying that they act in a manner that suggests they believe they’re superior than others. [disapproval] His demeanor is haughty and pompous. scornful, arrogant, contemptuous, disdainful Synonyms: scornful, arrogant, contemptuous, disdainful More supercilious synonyms
Is suspicious a noun or a verb?
adjective. Suspicious conduct is characterized by its proclivity for causing or arousing suspicion. prone to suspicion, particularly suspicion of evil; skeptic: a despot who is suspicious.
In The Great Gatsby, what does the term “fractiousness” mean?
Irritability is a symptom of fractiousness. To feign is to deceitfully mimic; to make believe; to pretend. Supercilious: possessing or displaying haughty superiority over and contempt for those deemed worthless.
What does the word contiguous mean in a sentence?
Things that touch or are adjacent to one other are referred to as “touching” or “next to each other.” In a sentence, examples of Contiguous. 1. Susan picked her condominium because it included a huge playroom, which she needed for her expanding family.
What is the best way to utilize gratuitous in a sentence?
Examples of Sentences That Aren’t Necessary
- The sentencing was carried out in an excessively severe manner.
- It includes the unique notion that letter transportation should be entirely free – a forerunner to later reform – as well as the prediction that, under the right conditions, “the Americans will grow cheaper maize than has ever been raised.”
What is the best way to utilize the word amicable in a sentence?
Examples of Sentences
- She had a kind demeanor and was always ready to offer a nice word and a smile.
- Tony Benn seems to be affable at times, according to legend.
- His affable demeanor earned him a vast network of friends who mourn his passing.
- He was a kind guy who refused to provide any profit projections.
What is the definition of a fragmented sentence?
A sentence fragment or fragmented sentence is an unfinished set of words punctuated as if it were a sentence. The subject, the predicate, or both the subject and the predicate are generally lacking in a sentence fragment.
What is the best way to utilize the word plague in a sentence?
In a sentence, examples of the word plague
Noun a city afflicted by the scourge of joblessness. In the underdeveloped countries, the illness continues to be a plague. verb a crime-ridden neighborhood A whip was used to scourge the prisoner.
What is the best way to utilize the word malicious in a sentence?
I can’t believe she dated him for so long before realizing how harsh and evil he was. Lucinda could never understand how her darling son turned up to be such a nefarious person. Miranda knew she was in danger as soon as she saw the guy who had grabbed her arm with a malicious look on his face.
What is the best way to utilize the word soporific in a sentence?
soporific Examples of Sentences
- A soporific ingredient found in opium, according to Moliere’s medical student, explains it.
- In such circumstances, the soporific effect is not desired, so opium is the better option.
In a sentence, how do you utilize disapprobation?
disapprobation Examples of Sentences
- One after another, I was accosted by cries of reprimand, disapproval, and even detestation.
- The magisterial viewpoints seem to have triumphed among the professoriate, which officially proclaimed its disapproval of the new philosophy and its proponents in March 1642.
In a sentence, how do you utilize the word contemptuous?
contemptuous Examples of Sentences
- She didn’t take a seat and instead gave him a disdainful smirk as she waited for the valet to go.
- With a mocking comment, one of the audience members seized a bunch of rocks and pelted him with them.
- He was mockingly referred to as the buddy of the outcasts (Matt.
What does it mean to be a contentious animal?
adjective. contentious or unruly: a cantankerous animal that refused to be harnessed. An incorrigibly contentious young guy is easily angry; peevish; irritable; quarrelsome.